Location: We’re based in the heart of Woolwich, which is a great place to both live and work. Woolwich benefits from excellent transport links; buses, tubes, trains (just 21 minutes from central London and 10 minutes from The O2) and ferries, and soon to be Crossrail expansion. During the current COVID-19 response you will be working mainly at home; when the pandemic has abated, you’ll have a mixture of home and office-based working.
Closing date: 3 August 2021
Who are we looking for?
Our new Digital and Customer Service team is expanding and we are on the lookout for an impact-driven, kind and curious person who has already started their career in research, business analysis and impact measurement. You will be one of eight other Business Analysts.
It’s an exciting time to join our team, as we’ve recently published our first ever digital strategy and want you to be a part of making our strategy a reality. You will help us on our mission to make the Royal Borough of Greenwich a truly digital council and borough over the next four years and beyond.
As a Senior Business Analyst, you’ll be welcomed into a thriving, exciting in-house product team, alongside other user researchers, service designers, content designers, product designers and product managers. It’s essential you’re open-minded, great at working in a team, have experience in mapping services and products, measuring and modelling financial and social impact, creating case for change. Most importantly, you are up for the challenge of making public service and government better. We are a new team, so there’s plenty of scope for having your say!
What your role will involve:
You’ll be part of our brand-new in-house product function as part of the Digital and Customer service team. You’ll report to the Head of Product.
As a Senior Business Analyst, you’ll take a key role in the Business Analysis community across Royal Borough of Greenwich, setting standards and acting as an ambassador for strong analytical skills and human-centred approach as key to digital transformation.
You’ll be leading on the analysis, mapping and modelling of our most complex and interdependent products, services and intervention. You’ll work in the open with the users at the centre of all you do and work with senior leaders to help them understand their priorities and make tricky decisions.
As a senior practitioner, you will be working through the entire design and delivery process, using a variety of research and modelling methods to identify opportunities and support decision making.
What your day-to-day responsibilities will look like
- Work across complex business areas and multidisciplinary product teams to analyse and articulate user need. Create research and analysis plans to help gather evidence to guide decision-making in nuanced areas where simple answers are not possible; build and execute backlogs of work; use data to ensure services are accessible, intuitive and simple.
- Take an active role in the business analysis community at RBG; set development, standards and behavioural expectations for business analysts at RBG; work with other disciplines to mutual development
- Engage with service areas across the organisation to help them understand agile ways of working as well as the business analyst’s skill set, and to help them articulate the possibilities in their area for digital transformation.
- Use a variety of qualitative and quantitative research methods with user, staff and stakeholders to understand services, demand, performances, problems, causes, impact and consequences. Find opportunities to gather data to understand the problem more deeply.
- Use synthesis and analysis methods to develop actionable insights, spot opportunities for service improvement and product development.
- Collaborate with designers to improve how service works to ensure end-to-end resident experiences can be delivered in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Measure the impact of our products, services and proposed changes throughout the design and delivery processes. Take considered, data-driven decisions and have the humility to learn from mistakes. Monitor product performance against intended outcomes to iterate and improve on services and products.
- Conduct demand and financial analysis to quantify the potential impact and changes and help prioritising effort and investment.
- Orchestrate the multi-disciplinary team to create a compelling case for change. This involves articulating the options for change, presenting argument and evidence to support the financial, social and political case.
- Use agile methodology and apply an agile mindset to all aspects of your work. Create a fast-paced, evolving environment and use an iterative method and flexible approach to enable rapid delivery.
- Manage and coach more junior members of the business analysis community.
- Undertake all duties with due regard to the provisions of health and safety regulations and legislation, Data Protection/GDPR, the Council’s Equal Opportunities and Customer Care policies.
- Perform all duties in line with Council’s staff values showing commitment to improving residents’ lives and opportunities, demonstrating respect and fairness, taking ownership, working towards doing things better and working together across the council.
Why join Royal Greenwich:
Royal Greenwich is proud to be a borough synonymous with first class modern services. A world class heritage site, our communities are vibrant and diverse, and we pride ourselves on being a well-managed, well-run authority.
We are going through a digital transition and are on the hunt to recruit like-minded team members to be a part of the challenge. We pride ourselves on our values, so you’ll be in an environment that promotes knowledge and skill sharing, so you’ll be working closely with other areas of the business.
Our vision is for a happier, healthier and more joined-up borough using modern technology and data. This was already an urgent need, but the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated both the urgency and the will to change.
Our Royal Greenwich values underpin the work we do:
- Improving residents lives and opportunities
- Demonstrating respect and fairness
- Taking ownership
- Doing things better
- Working together across the Council.
We offer great benefits:
In return for your hard work, we offer a range of benefits:
- Annual Season Ticket Loan
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities to maximise your potential, including excellent apprenticeship opportunities at all levels
- Reduced rate Gym Membership
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement and
- Excellent Pension Scheme
- Greenwich Card which entitles you to discounts at local businesses
- Employee Assistance Scheme including external counselling service
- A range of flexible working arrangements
- Staff networks
Make an application
If this sounds like it would suit you, or our mission is something you’d love to be a part of then get in touch!
To apply, please follow the “Apply for this job” link OR visit www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk and apply online by 3 August 2021.
Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We want to hire the best people, regardless of their background. We encourage applications from all sections of the community.
What the hiring process will look like for you
Step 1 – Application: Complete the application form and we aim to get back to you within 1 week post the application closing date. (You will be prompted to upload a CV and a covering letter (of no more than 2 sides of A4). Please ensure that these clearly show how you meet the criteria set out in the Person Specification document).
Step 2 – Invitation for interview: If you’re among the top-scoring applicants, you’ll be invited to a panel interview and prepare a 10 mins case study of a challenge you’re proud of and how this shows your skill for this role.
Step 3 – Panel Interview: This will usually be a 60-minute video call with the hiring manager and other team members you would work with closely in the role. There will be two parts to it. The first 20 minutes will focus on the technical capabilities needed for this role through the case study you prepared. This will be followed by behaviour-based questions that address the essential criteria in the job specification. We will be asking questions like “ Tell us a situation when …”
Application close date: 3 August 2021
For an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Lingjing Yin; [email protected] .
If you require any assistance in viewing or accessing this opportunity, please contact [email protected] or call 020-8921-8977
Diversity Statement: Royal Borough of Greenwich values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this. We therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Advert Close: All vacancies close at midnight unless otherwise stated
Interview Arrangements: During this time, our priority for all of our recruitment activity is to make sure our applicants, hiring departments and new starters are informed, safe and supported. Careful and thorough consideration will be given to interview arrangements and for any essential in-person recruitment, we will ensure this is held in a suitable, secure setting with additional arrangements to ensure any current safety requirements are fully adhered to.
Salary: Salaries advertised are for a standard working week of 35 hours unless otherwise stated. Please use this ‘Salary Calculator to help you calculate a pro rata salary.